On a plaque on the Colorado Pioneer Monument fountain lists thirty-seven private donors. This post covers subscriber number 29, Jerome S. Riche.
Jerome S. Riche was another subscriber that was involved in real estate. He is listed in the 1890 City Directory as working in Real Estate, Loans & Investments. He was also listed in the same year as on the Board of Alderman, Third Ward. His address was the Riche Block, north east corner of 16th and Curtis.
In 1900 after the silver crash he was listed at the same address, he must have weathered the bust. He was then living at 1321 Broadway. This is the site of the Denver Public Library main branch. The 1890 Sanborn Map shows there were four good- sized houses on the south end of the block where now is the garage door and main entrance to the Library. The next building, north, was a Chinese Laundry, about mid-block. The block was turning commercial.
Jerome S. Riche’s sister, Julia, married Frederic Charpiot. Charpiot arrived in Denver in 1860. He ran the Charpiot Hotel which also had a restaurant. The Restaurant was Delmonico of the West. Prior to 1887 when the streets changed numbering a advertising card was published. The advertising card proclaimed Jerome S. Riche as proprietor. The later address was 1540 to 1548 Larimer Street.
Frederic moved back to France and died there in 1907. Fredric’s son Henry C. graduated from Cornell as an attorney. One of Henry’s cousin was Horace W. Bennett, of Cripple Creek, the name sake of their main street.
In the 1910 City Directory J.S. Riche is listed as President and Treasurer of the J.S. Riche Investment Company. It was located in the Opera House at 316-317, corner of 16th and Curtis. As measure of his success there was a Riche Building at 16th and Curtis and a Riche Block at 15th and Tremont, as well as moving his offices into the Opera House. The Pioneer Monument was sponsored by the Denver Real Estate Exchange, Riche’s profession.
J.S. Riche bought four lots on this corner for $90,000 in 1884. In 1897 he sold them to William Church for $300,000. The Scholtz Drug store, located on the corner, owned by Ed B. Scholtz was paying $700.00 month rent in the late 1890’s. It is now the site of Independence Plaza.
DPL Western History Collections-photos and City Directories
Representative Men of Colorado in the 19th Century, a Portrait Galley
Colorado Pioneers in Pictures and Story
Plumbers Trade Journal Vol 28 P258 Nov 1, 1900
Sons of Colorado Vol 2 issues 1-11, Pg 19, June 1907
Lost Restaurants of Denver, Robert & Kristen Autobee